Pioneer Unit 2019: Day 3

For our unit last year, we followed along with the Brigham Young Vanguard company and followed their trek from Nauvoo to the Salt Lake Valley.

This year, we will be repeating some of the same activities but instead of following a particular company and chronological events, we will be learning more about the specific ancestors that we are representing and create activities to go along with what we learn.

Today, we re-enacted a story from the life of Charles Wesley Hubbard. Landon played the part of Charles Hubbard and then halfway through switched to Brigham Young. Porter played the part of Heber C. Kimball. Evelyn played Vilate Kimball and Roxanne played Mary Ann Young.

In 1839, the Saints moved from Missouri to Nauvoo – which at the time was a swamp. Many people got very sick with Malaria and other illnesses. In September of that year, Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball left to go on a mission to England. They, and their families, were very sick but they still decided to leave when planned.

In the words of Heber C. Kimball’s daughter: “The day before they started my father had two very heavy shakes of the ague, and was very sick through the night.

On the morning of the eighteenth Brother Charles Hubbard sent his wagon and horses with driver, and their trunks were put into the wagon by some brethren who had come to bid them good-bye.

Previous to starting, while they were taking breakfast, father got Brother Hubbard and another brother to cut down an old hollow tree, which hung over the house, it had worried him so that he could not bear to leave till he saw it felled to the ground; when he heard it fall he said, at the time rising from the table, “Now I am ready to go.”

The parting scene is best told by himself. He says: “I went to the bed and shook hands with my wife, who was shaking with the ague, having two children lying sick by her side; I embraced her and my children, and bid them farewell; the only child well was little Heber Parley, and it was with difficulty he could carry a two-quart pail full of water from a spring at the bottom of a small hill to assist in quenching their thirst.

It was with difficulty we got into the wagon and started down the hill about ten rods; it appeared to me as though my very inmost parts would melt within me; leaving my family in such a condition, as it were, almost in the arms of death; it seemed to me as though I could not endure it.

I said to the teamster, ‘Hold up.’ Said I to Brother Brigham, ‘This is pretty tough, ain’t it? Let’s rise up and give them a cheer.’ We arose and swinging our hats three times over our heads, we cried, ‘Hurrah! Hurrah! Hurrah for Israel.’

Vilate hearing the noise arose from her bed and came to the door; she had a smile on her face and she and Mary Ann Young cried out to us, ‘Good-bye, God bless you.’ We returned the compliment and then told the driver to go ahead.

After this I felt a spirit of joy and gratitude at having the satisfaction of seeing my wife standing upon her feet, instead of leaving her in bed, knowing as I did that I should not see them again for two or more years.””


Charles Wesley Hubbard chopping down Heber C. Kimball’s tree

“Hurrah! Hurrah! Hurrah for Israel!”

Vilate Kimball and Mary Ann Young watching over their babies while their husbands go to England to serve a mission.


Robert Barrett’s rendition of Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball leaving on their mission to England. The wagon depicted in this painting belonged to Charles Wesley Hubbard, my great-great-great grandfather.

Leave a Reply